This winter marks the return to our “Fixed on Jesus” series. We’re going to be exploring three Hot Button topics that you think the church should be talking about (thanks for participating in the survey).
The point is to hear each other – to listen deeply – to love well, especially those we may disagree with
The Hot Button topics we’ll be addressing (and we may address more as time goes on… there are many) are:
- Creationism & Evolution (our origins and how we came to be)
- Affirming & Traditional (human sexuality / LGBT2SQ+)
- Poverty & Prosperity (our relationship with money)
There are a few other topics that were also high on the list, and some of your suggestions didn’t really fit into a neat and tidy category. We tried our best to accurately categorize the various topics. We are going to tackle them in a very systematic manner.
Each of the topics will have a Sunday morning devoted to sharing the various perspectives of the issue, zoning in on how each perspective is represented or interpreted in scripture. We will then have two Sunday evenings devoted to hearing two people do GYVE together for the first two Hot Button Topics. We encourage you to come to both evenings (Jan 21 & Feb 11) – they will be special and it will be helpful to have a witnessed the model in action before we get to the hottest button (Affirming & Traditional / LGBT2SQ+)!
In between these Sundays, we will be exploring how the church has either nailed or failed dealing with diversity in the past. There are many examples, some quite humorous to our sensibilities. Of course we will also be digging into scripture, as is our habit. All along we will be engaging in ways to “double down on our centre” – we also have a Celebration Service scheduled which will help keep us focussed on Jesus as we tackle some of these “non-essentials.”
Here’s the schedule:
- January 14: Introduction & Call to Prayer
- January 21: Creationism & Evolution
- January 21 Evening: Doing GYVE with Creationism & Evolution.
- January 28: Nailed it, Failed it
- February 4: Affirming & Traditional
- February 11: Nailed it, Failed it
- February 11 Evening: Doing GYVE with Affirming & Traditional
- February 18: Celebration Service
- February 25: Poverty & Prosperity