We are going to explore our top three “Hot Button Topics” during Part 3 of our Fixed on Jesus series. Together we’ll explore the “in non-essentials, liberty” part of our series. Having determined that Jesus (his Kingdom and activity as described in the Creed) is our centre – “in essentials, unity” – and having explored how to do “in all things charity”, we’re going to step forward bravely and with great amounts of humility and tenderness, into whatever topics YOU choose! We will model GYVE (how to love each other in diversity) with each of those topics in a combination of Sunday mornings and a few special Sunday evening gatherings.
We invite you to pray. The Pastoral and Lay Elders have been praying for some time about this. We’ve sensed God’s guidance, received some significant prophetic nudges and encouragement from other churches. However, we must love well in the process. Hot Buttons are by nature feisty. Emotions can run high and disagreements can run deep. We’ve been holding the centre for 20+ years. We’ve done this already – we’ve just not been so explicit about it. Even so, let’s move forward with prayer and love.
- And now I give you a new commandment: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. (John 13:34)
- …love your neighbors as you love yourself. I am the Lord. (Leviticus 19:18)
- Above everything, love one another earnestly, because love covers over many sins. (1 Peter 4:8)
- …the only obligation you have is to love one another. (Romans 13:8)
- My children, our love should not be just words and talk; it must be true love, which shows itself in action. (1 John 3:18)
- No one has ever seen God, but if we love one another, God lives in union with us, and his love is made perfect in us. (1 John 4:12)
- Do all your work in love. (1 Corinthians 16:14)
- Be always humble, gentle, and patient. Show your love by being tolerant with one another. Do your best to preserve the unity which the Spirit gives by means of the peace that binds you together. (Ephesians 4:2-3)
>>Thank you to everyone who submitted to our survey! We will compile the results and explore the top three in January and February.
If you have any more Hot Button Topic suggestions, our survey is now closed, but you can still email the pastors with your suggestion!
Thank you dear church!