As we’re getting into our new sermon series “That You May Know: finding and following Jesus in John’s letters”, we hope you’re beginning to follow along as individuals, in Home Groups or Triads. We’ve compiled a few resources to help with this.
Here is a great overview from the Bible Project:
Here is the schedule and corresponding scriptures:
- Sept 19: John’s World, an introduction. 1 John 1:1-4
- Sept 26: 1 John reading
- Oct 3: God’s Light and Our Darkness. 1 John 1:5-2:2
- Oct 11: Thanksgivng & Baptism
- Oct 17: God’s New Commandment. 1 John 2:3-14
- Oct 24: People of the Lie. 1 John 2:15-29
- Oct 31: Born of God / Pirates & Pumpkins. 1 John 2:1-10
- Nov 7: The Challenge of Love. 1 John 3:11-4:6
- Nov 14: God’s Love. 1 John 4:7-5:5
- Nov 21: The True God. 1 John 5:6-21
We encourage you to use a simple too for reflection. In most Home Group settings the goal isn’t so much inductive bible study or deep exegesis but rather encounter. We’re aiming to be present to the Holy Spirit as the Holy Spirit is present to us. This happens as we look at the text together. One simple tool that helps facilitate this is Lectio Divina. All of the passages are short enough to do this well (you could shorten them further if you choose). A number of Home Groups have used this tool effectively for a long time.
Lastly, RightNow Media has some great resources for more in depth study. Contact the office if you do not have login info for our church RightNow Media account. The “Mr. Phil Show” has some great content that is accessible for most kids, but also meaty enough that most adults will find it very helpful too!